Monday, October 31, 2022

Authenticity: Being real...

 

I’d like to share some thoughts I had early on in my recovery journey as I was just beginning to create my relationship with myself in a healthier way.   I had always wanted to be able to just be myself, having always been a people pleaser and a person who tried to put on the correct mask for whatever the occasion.  In December 1995, I never got around to writing a Christmas letter so in January 1996, I wrote the New Years letter below and sent it out to all my family and friends:

 

I am celebrating the experience of starting to know unconditional self-worth, of discovering a new relationship with myself, living in the moment and being more alive and thereby being on the way to a great future in 1996.

I feel I have a right to be for the sake of being. Where does this sentence come from?  I have always felt I was alive to prove my worth and thereby find it in some activity, status, achievement, award, etc. Unconditional worth was a theory I gave lip service to but could not comprehend.

I want to smell the pine needles and feel the wind blow. As leaves brush against each other, I will run down the hill while my hair blows into my face. I want to feel what it is like to have my hair in my face as opposed to lying on the side of my head. I also want to notice what it is like to see through strands of hair instead of straight though my glasses.  It is so easy to live without noticing you are alive.  Small things are often more important than big things.

Life is too short to worry about what people think.  It is too brief to be concerned with how my life should be. If I let my life unfold, let my spirit dance, and give myself freedom to be myself, then I will become who I am supposed to be.

Being myself is not looking for the right way to look. It is just looking, thinking and wondering. It is not trying to make my eyes a different color.  It is taking the eyes I have and seeing.  This means seeing the world with my opinions and my idiosyncrasies and my dreams.  And if I am color blind I can know it is not a defect but a gift.  No one else in the whole world can see like me. Some people could choose to label color blindness as a negative trait because they don’t know the positive things about it because they are not color blind.

Part of what it means to be alive is to hear with a confidence that doesn’t ask for approval. In the past I have thought, “What am I supposed to hear?”  I was therefore distracted from hearing, living and discovering.  The self dies when she thinks her natural way of hearing is flawed, and when she believes she must hear in a way she is uncapable of hearing.  My self is being reborn; my relationship with myself is starting anew.

I used to define myself by the classes I took, the grades I made, the major I was in, any awards or accomplishments etc.  I think defining myself is limiting thing because I may stop not realizing I can grow beyond those words.  If I was an art therapist, I could say, “I am an art therapist.” But what does that really mean?  Each art therapist is a unique individual like any other person in any other profession.  I am not what I do; I am a human being, not a human doing.  I have tremendous power by believing in myself more and more, in more creative ways and in stronger ways.  That is the key to my future.

This is my first year to send a letter and not list every activity I was doing, each class I took in school, etc.  I did not do that because, for me, that would have been a way to prove my worth.  The news I value the most this year is what is going on inside of me.

Happy New Year! Let’s reach for the stars! Won’t you come and celebrate with me?

Copyright, October 31, 2022, Sandie Edwards 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning is a beautiful thing!

Dear blog readers,  I apologize for not posting a January 15 blog.  I haven’t in the least given up on this blog and continue to be excited ...